Monday, March 9, 2009

Veggie Brown Rice Casserole

If you are on WIC like me, then you too probably have tons of dried beans and not sure what to do with them. I can only cook so much with beans. I have never been a fan of them myself, and my kids seem to be following in my footsteps. Well, this is one that seems to go over well. It is vegetarian if you either leave the cheese off or get a substitute. I love to make this because I typically have everything in the house already and it's super easy to put together. I call it my hippie dinner, but I think that you could really impress anyone with it.

INGREDIENTS:
2 quarts water
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown
rice
1 cup dry split peas
1 cup chopped fresh
mushrooms (you could probably use canned)
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced
tomatoes, undrained
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 cup shredded Cheddar
cheese
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large saucepan, bring water, rice and peas to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In a skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender. Combine the vegetables, rice mixture, tomatoes and seasonings.
3. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.


The carrots, celery, mushrooms, and garlic being sauted.

I add the seasonings and tomatoes to the veggie mix to make it easier.


The rice and peas before being mixed. Yes, you do see some white rice. I ran out of brown and still needed a 1/2 cup.

All mixed in the casserole dish and ready for the oven.

The finished product. Look at that cheesy goodness!
Please let me know if you try it and like it! Thanks!

1 comments:

Maryjane said...

That looks yummy!! My kids love beans, rice, and everything in between!! I may need to try this one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails